Grilled cheese fans, you’ve been doing it WRONG!!
I have a confession to make. I’ve had a waffle iron for over a year now and I have never made a single waffle in it.
I have made a waffled cinnamon roll, a waffled hash brown, a waffled quesadilla, and about 107 waffled grilled cheeses. It’s magic.
When I was originally testing this recipe for the most delicious Sweet Potato Grilled Cheese, my plan was to make it the OG way so no one would have rush out and buy any new appliances. However, after making & eating the same sandwich 3 different ways I can confirm wholeheartedly that the Waffled Sweet Potato Grilled Cheese won by a landslide.
I’ve posted some unsponsored links for you to get your waffle iron ASAP just because I love you.
This is such a balanced meal in so many ways. It’s hearty, sweet, nutritious, filling, savory, crunchy on the outside, soft in the middle, saucy, but not too saucy. It’s perfect, okay. I just have to say it. It’s PERFECT!
Sweet Potato + Vegan Mozz + Spicy Buffalo Sauce + Peppery Fresh Arugula! Perfect.
Let’s assemble, I’m hungry.
Waffled Sweet Potato Grilled Cheese
2 slices of whole wheat toast
1 tsp earth balance vegan butter
1 small sweet potato (roasted)
1/2 cup shredded vegan mozzarella
1 tbsp buffalo sauce
Arugula to garnish
Vegan Ranch – optional
- Take your two pieces of toast and butter the outside with a thin coat of vegan butter
- Lay bread open flat (buttered side down) and sprinkle both halves with a nice coating of vegan mozzarella shreds (or 1 slice of vegan cheese on each if that’s the route you’re going)
- On one piece, spread mashed sweet potato (skin removed) evenly keeping it close to the middle and away from the edges.
- On the other slice, drizzle a little bit (or a lot a bit) of buffalo sauce.
- Carefully close both slices together and place in your waffle iron, set to medium darkness and close tightly. Cook for a bout 1 – 2 minutes on each side.
- Remove the magical grilled cheese carefully and plate with some arugula, more buffalo sauce, and vegan ranch.
Pro-tip: Roast a bag of sweet potatoes on Sunday and enjoy them throughout the week in this recipe and so many more.
Enjoy it veganly much!