I finally made my Aunt’s Vegan Persian Ice Cream!!! Except when I asked her for the measurements, she laughed at me….
I had to measure everything for you myself, you’re welcome. But seriously, do Persian moms/aunts ever measure anything?? I don’t think so. They’re always like a little of this, a lot of that. And when I ask them like how much they always say “you know how much.” LOL.
A few weeks ago on we drove up to LA in crazy Friday night traffic to go to my Aunt’s house for Shabbat. (Hi Ameh!) It was a pain to get there but so totally worth using up our F*ck Budget (Watch this TED talk to see what I mean by that) because there is nothing sweeter than ending a hectic week with a big family dinner surrounded by parents, siblings, cousins, grandma, and aunts who make twice as many vegan options for dinner so that everyone feels welcome and satisfied. We’re up to 3 vegetarians in the family now (wooohoo) slowly taking over, slowly…
As if it wasn’t already enough that we had 2 Persian stews veganized on the table, my Aunt made Vegan Persian Ice Cream (my favorite) for dessert! I’ve never been more excited about Shabbat in my life.
I text her the next day to get the full recipe and she text me back with the most Persian mom instructions ever. But it worked!! I hope you love this ice cream as much as I do.
Vegan Persian Pistachio & Saffron Ice Cream
1 quart non-dairy vanilla ice cream
1 cup roasted pistachios
A generous pinch of Saffron + warm water
1/4 cup Rose Water
1/2 tsp Cardamom ground
- Allow the ice cream to thaw on the counter for about 10 minutes so it’s soft enough to mix with the rest of the ingredients.
- Dissolve your saffron in a few tbsp of water to extract all the color and flavor
- Pour ice cream and all the rest of your ingredients into a large bowl. Mix well.
- Transfer to a 9 x 13 pan or freezer safe glass Tupperware and freeze for a few hours.
- Scoop out when you’re ready to serve & enjoy it veganly much!