While you’re watching the big game, I’ll be over here eating all the delicious snacks!
Yay Sports, Do that thing, Win those points!!
HaHaHa, I saw that on a t-shirt once and I was like OMG that is SO me!
I have absolutely no interest in sports. There, I said it. The only thing that does interest me are the delicious game day snack foods I get to eat when I’m hanging out with friends who DO love sports.
When I made my Carrot Hot Dogs last summer I knew I would eventually HAVE to take that recipe and make some vegan Pigs in a Blanket because why would anyone eat pigs when they can just eat carrots? AmIRight?!?
Well today is the day you guys and just as I expected these are perfection! My hubby and I ate the entire tray for lunch and we’re not sorry about that one bit because it was a fantastic way to spend our Sunday! Mean it!
You’ll want to get these marinating in your fridge either the night before your party or for a few hours the morning of. I only had them in there for about 3 hours the day of and they were just fantastic but you should know that the longer you keep them in the marinade the more flavorful they will be.
Let’s go! We’re going to need something to eat in between commercial breaks!
Carrots in a Blanket
36 baby carrots
3 cups water
1 sheet puff pastry – thawed
1/4 cup liquid aminos, tamari, or soy sauce
2 tsp liquid smoke
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp sriracha/hot sauce
1 tsp crushed garlic
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
salt & pepper
2 tbsp nutritional yeast – optional
Cheezy Maple Mustard Sauce*
1. Add all the marinade ingredients to a ziplock bag and mix well.
2. Add carrots and water to a pot over high heat and bring to a boil. Boil for about 3 minutes.
3. Drain water. Add warm carrots to the marinade bag and zip tightly making sure all the carrots are well coated. Let rest in the fridge for 2 – 12 hours.
4. Take the thawed piece of puff pastry and lay flat on a board. Cut the pastry sheet into 18 strips. Then cut each strip in half. To get 36 strips of puff pastry. #math
5. Remove carrots from the bag and place on a paper towel lined plate to soak up some of the liquid.
6. Roll each carrot with the puff pastry strips and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Make sure to leave some room in between each because the puff pastry will puff up a bit.
7. Bake on the middle rack of a 375 degree oven for 25 minutes or until they’re each crispy and golden brown
8. While they’re baking you can whip up some of the CHEEZY MAPLE MUSTARD SAUCE because it’s a perfect pair. These are also just perfect served with some plain ketchup and mustard.
Enjoy it Veganly Much!