You guys I know. When I first heard of carrot hot dogs I was like, “ummm no, you cant just put a carrot in a hot dog bun and call it a hot dog.” But that’s not what we’re doing here.
We are marinating these so hard with the most delicious hot doggy ingredients that these carrots will actually magically taste JUST LIKE A HOT DOG! I know. I’m excited too.
We tested these in the kitchen last night and they are hubby approved! Which means, they will be homie, family, kid, neighbor, bbq buddy approved too!
Let’s get to the prepping part ASAP because you’ll need to marinate these overnight to get them just perfect in time to devour them with all your friends.
This recipe is for 4 dogs but the marinade is actually enough for more. I would probably just double the ingredients if you’re making 8 or more for a large party. You definitely want to keep the extra marinade to drizzle over the dogs while they’re grilling on the fire.
The best part is you could totally take these out to the BBQ and grill em up with all your other food and they will hold up just fine.
Carrot Hot Dogs
4 large carrots
1/3 cup liquid aminos, tamari, or soy sauce
2 tsp liquid smoke
3 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp sriracha/hot sauce
1 tsp crushed garlic
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
salt & pepper
2 tbsp nutritional yeast – optional
1/4 cup water
Hot dog buns
1. Take a large ziplock bag and add all ingredients except carrots. Seal bag and mix well. Set aside.
2. Peel 4 carrots and cut off tops and bottoms so they almost match the size of your buns.
3. In a medium pot add carrots and water and heat until boiling and carrots are fork tender but not too soft. It will take about 10 – 15 minutes.
4. While the carrots are still warm, put them in the bag with the marinade and swoosh around to make sure they’re fully coated.
5. Refrigerate for 12 – 24 hours.
6. When you’re ready to eat, sauté the carrots in a medium pan for a few minutes getting all sides charred. Add more marinade as you cook them. Just a tablespoon at a time. (I’m sure you could do this on the BBQ grill too but I’m more of an indoor chef, lol) I used a cast iron skillet.
Note: you can put these directly into an oven on very low heat to keep them warm until you’re ready to eat.
7. Assemble your hot dogs with any of your favorite toppings and enjoy it VEGANLY much!
Leave a Reply