Don’t get me wrong I love love an original fried potato latke!! Like, so much! But every year during the 8 days of Hanukkah, I end up eating a million of those so I always like to make something a little different. These sweet potato latke waffles were the most unique and easy version I’ve made. Plus, thanks to Neat Foods Neat Egg, they’re completely vegan!
Let’s just say, I liked them a latke. (Sorry, I had to)
Sweet Potato Latke Waffle
2 raw sweet potatoes
1 Neat Egg (or any Vegan Egg Replacer)
1/2 medium onion
Salt & Pepper
Cinnamon & Nutmeg
And a waffle maker
1. Peel & shred the sweet potatoes in a bowl.
2. Shred the onion in the same bowl.
3. Season with salt, pepper, a dash of cinnamon & nutmeg.
4. Microwave the mixture for 45 seconds.
5. Add 1 Neat egg and mix really well.
6. Grease your waffle iron with lots of vegan butter. It’s the holidays. (That’s what I say every year from October 25th- Januray 10th) Set it to a medium high heat and wait for your butter to start sizzling.
7. Add 1/4 of the mixture to the middle of the waffle iron and press hard. Let it cook for at least 5 minutes, or until it’s extra crispy on the outside.
8. Remove from waffle maker and add a huge dollop of sour cream & apple sauce mixture (1 part vegan sour cream + 1 part apple sauce, mixed well) because I don’t think I should have to pick just one topping!
Happy Vegan Hanukkah!
(Don’t worry it’s just as good as regular Hanukkah!)
Recipe yields 4 small waffles. Double & Triple if you’re cooking for a group. These are delicious served warm or cold.