The worst thing about Friday is realizing it’s only Wednesday. That’s the kind of day I had yesterday. I came home from work and needed the biggest hug. So obviously, I needed to make spaghetti.
I was so excited to receive these Neatfoods meat substitutes to try a while ago and have just been so hesitant to really dig in. I guess they seemed a little too good to be true and I really didn’t want to be disappointed by a wonderful vegan friendly company. But last night I decided to just go ahead and give it a shot. I went with the Italian Blend and made some meatballs, I mean NEATballs. Holy wow! Disappointed I was NOT! These were super easy to make just as I imagined & actually lots of fun. I snapchatted the whole thing and couldn’t stop singing with joy. So embarrassing but I had a blast in the kitchen. They were also, to my surprise, so unbelievably delicious! It was EXACTLY what I needed to feel better last night and I’m still feeling great knowing that I have some leftovers in my fridge.
Happiness that lasts even longer than my Snapchat story? Sign me up!
Spaghetti & Neatballs
1. Follow the instructions on package of Neatfoods Italian Blend. Mix together with your Vegan Parmesan Cheese. I added a little extra water, garlic powder, & dry oregano.
2. The Neatfoods instructions say to divide into 8 Neatballs but I actually made 16. They were just the right size so I would highly recommend keeping your balls small and plenty, rather than large and few. 😉
3. Put your NEATballs on a well greased baking dish and bake at 350 for 10 minutes, rolling over half way through. It’s okay if they are a little undercooked for 2 reasons. 1. they’re plant-based so no food born illness. and 2. we’re going to cook them through in the sauce pan a little more in step 5.
4. While your balls are baking in the oven, get your pasta water boiling with lots of salt & olive oil. Once you bring water to a boil, add your pasta, and let it cook.
5. In a sauce pan, add 1/2 jar of marinara, a little olive oil, more garlic powder, more oregeno. Bring up to a heated simmer and throw in your balls. Get them coated with sauce and leave to simmer for another 10 mins on low heat.
6. Once your pasta is cooked through, drain but leave about 1/2 cup of pasta water in the pot. This will give you SO much extra flavor and depth.
7. Add the rest of your sauce and let it simmer together for a few minutes until your sauce has thickened.
8. Finally add your Neatballs & Sauce right on top. Add some fresh basil. Sprinkle on lots more Vegan Parmasan Cheese.
And enjoy this super NEAT meal Veganly much!
Originally Posted on: October 15, 2015