The food trend to end all food trends. Pulled Pork Sandwiches made out of Fruit!! Can you say Vegan AF?!
This is real you guys. I mean it’s not real in the fact that there isn’t ANY actual pork in these sandwiches meaning no one was harmed but it’s real in the fact that I took this magical fruit called JackFruit and made it taste EXACTLY, I REPEAT EXACTLY like pulled pork. Yes, I needed a run on sentence to truly express my excitement.
Make sure you check out the links at the bottom of this post to learn more about some of the hottest Food Trends this year
I mean is there anything that can’t be made in a healthy version these days? With all the delicious food trends out there I have to admit, transforming something that is not so good for you into something that is totally good for you without losing any of the flavor or texture has got to be my favorite trend of them all.
Recipes that come out as good as this one really make me wonder why anyone in their right mind is still eating the unethical, artery-clogging alternative. It’s like not even cool anymore. Ok, end rant. Back to this deliciousness…
Let’s get cooking! Here is everything you will need
2 cans jackfruit
1 tsp seasoning salt
A drizzle of Avocado Oil
1 cup BBQ sauce
1/2 cup water
4 soft buns
4 slices Vegan cheese – optional
1/2 cup shredded green cabbage
1/2 cup shredded purple cabbage
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1 – 2 limes juiced
1 small avocado
2 tbsp nooch
1. Rinse and drain your jackfruit really well. Remove any hard centers or seeds. Shred by hand. Season with seasoning salt.
2. In a large non stick sauté pan add all your jackfruit + a drizzle of avocado oil or any high heat cooking oil and sauté until warmed through. Break up the jackfruit as much as you can with a wooden spoon.
3. Add your favorite BBQ sauce + water, mix well and cover to simmer. Add more water or sauce if you see it’s dissolving too quickly. You want this to simmer for about 15 minutes. Stirring frequently and breaking up the jackfruit with your wooden spoon more and more each time until you have crispy edges and a pulled pork consistency.
4. Meanwhile, add your lime juice, avocado, and nooch to a bowl and mash well until you get a creamy paste. Add your veggies and mix well until everything is coated. Add more lime juice or water to thin out if necessary. Add salt & pepper to taste. Set aside.
5. Preheat your oven to a High Broil and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
6. Line up your sandwich bottoms and top each with 1/4 of your “pork” mixture. Top that with a slice of vegan cheese and pop into the oven for 1 – 2 minutes or until cheese melts.
7. Remove from oven and assemble sandwiches with more BBQ sauce and some coleslaw. Top with the other half of the bun and enjoy it VEGANLY much!
How trendy are you feeling right now?
Whenever I’m feeling extra trendy like I do now I always make sure I have my S. Pellegrino on the table. Whether I’m at home chilling on the balcony or out for drinks with friends (at trendy vegan restaurants)
For the past few years S. Pellegrino has been putting together a Taste Guide and sharing some of the most amazing new food trends prepared by renowned chefs in New York City. If you’re close enough to attend one of these events, (they’re open to the public, WHAT WHAT!) I highly recommend you check them out on June 30th from 11:30am – 2:00pm. You’ll be able to taste some delicious eats at the event and be guided through some of this year’s trendiest foods. I can almost guarantee you’ll find some jackfruit pulled pork there…
Leave a Reply