VEGAN. Spicy. Tuna. Rolls. YOU GUYS! What else can I say?!
I guess I could also tell you that these were a little TOO easy to make. I would definitely like to add that I used a very common household ingredient so you don’t have to worry about purchasing any foreign ingredients from the very expensive hippy dippy health food store across town. (no offense to hippy dippy health food stores. Love you!) And I guess lastly I would have to mention that these are spot-on with flavor, texture, & even visually.
So go right ahead and fool your omnivore husband, kids, mom, dad, neighbor, or co-worker and let me know how many pieces they ate before they decided they wanna be vegan too! (wink wink)
We are using TOMATOES, party people! That’s right! I replaced raw fish with beautiful tomatoes. Kinda genius right??
I was driving home the other day thinking about all the date nights I’ve had with my handsome husband (It’s a pretty long drive from LA to OC in crazy 405 traffic, so my mind wanders. Don’t judge me.) and I remembered this one time we went to PF Changs (a chinese chain restaurant) and I was craving sushi so I asked the sushi chef if he could make me a veggie roll. He looked at me like I was nuts and asked, What’s that? (<- True Story) So I explained to him that he could just take all the veggies he had and stick em in a roll and that would be perfect for me. He agreed. A few minutes later he brought my roll out and he sure did put ALL the veggies in there. Literally. Avocado, cucumber, carrots, LETTUCE & TOMATOES. My hubby and I had a great laugh between the two of us, as you can imagine. Surprisingly, it was delicious.
You know what happened next… My crazy little food bloggy brain was driving home hungry, thinking about that funny sushi roll and BAM, SPICY TOMATO “TUNA”!
Let’s just get on with it. You’re going to LOVE how easy this is to make!
Vegan Spicy Tuna Rolls
4 small tomatoes (or 2 medium or 1 large)
1 tbsp Sriracha
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp liquid aminos or tamari or soy sauce
1 tsp vegan mayo
1 cup brown rice
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tbsp sea salt
What you’ll need:
1. Cook your rice as usual. When it’s almost finished cooking add rice vinegar, sugar, & salt and mix well. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
2. To make Spicy “Tuna”:
– Bring a pot of water to a boil & place a bowl of ice water next to it.
– Score the skin of your tomatoes. This will make the skin easy to peel.
– Drop your tomatoes in the boiling water and allow to boil for just a few minutes. Remove from the hot water and immediately blanch in the ice water for a few seconds.
– When the tomato is cool enough to handle, peel the skin, cut in half, & remove the seeds & any excess water.
– In a small bowl add tomatoes, sesame oil, tamari, Sriracha, & spicy mayo. Mix well and break up the tomatoes a bit.
That’s it! Enjoy it veganly much!
note: I used Brown Rice and make it a little mushy by using a bit more liquid when cooking than normal. You could use brown rice, sushi rice, basmati rice, quinoa, or even cauliflower rice! Find the low-carb Cauliflower Rice Sushi Rolls recipe here…