Okay this is going to be very hard to believe but SUSHI is one of the easiest things I’ve ever made in my kitchen. So you know that means? I’m hooked. You’d think that going on a vegan or vegetarian journey would be tough but I find myself still enjoying all the things I did before, without any of guilt. One of those things is sushi. I thought I’d only ever be able to order an avocado roll but I’ve proved here that when you get a little creative, even sushi nights can be exotic and exciting.
You wanna know the secret to sushi rice and what makes it so different from regular rice? Keep reading…
I’m going to share this Cauliflower Rice Veggie Sushi recipe with you because it’s low carb, full of nutrients, and so very very filling! Feel free to take this secret and make it your own using brown rice, forbidden (black) rice, wild rice, quinoa, or even cous cous if that’s how you roll. Veggie Sushi doesn’t have to be boring anymore!!
Bamboo Mat A.K.A. The Sushi Roller Thingy (you can buy this at any Asian/international market or on amazon.com I got mine for $2.99
Seaweed – I bought a very expensive Organic version from Whole Foods. It was like $25 for 50 sheets. You can find this way cheaper at an Asian/international market or amazon.com
Black & White Sesame Seeds
For the rice:
1 bag of cauliflower
2 tablespoons rice vinegar or white wine vinegar or any light vinegar
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
For the filling:
1. (You can actually skip this recipe if you want to keep it fully raw) Cook the cauliflower florets in boiling water for about 2 minutes, just to soften them. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking.
2. Pulse the florets in a food processor gently to get a rice consistency. Be careful, you don’t want cauliflower mash.
3. Take the cauliflower “rice” and place in a tea towel or cheese cloth and drain out as much liquid as possible. cauliflower can be very watery by nature. (don’t even worry about this step if you’re in a rush, no big deal, your sushi will just be a little… moist?)
4. THE SECRET REVEALED: mix vinegar, sugar, & salt in a small bowl. Add this mixture to the cauliflower (or any sushi “rice” you choose) and that’s what will make you feel like you just walked into your favorite sushi restaurant and ordered your favorite sushi roll.
5. Place the rice mixture in the fridge for about 30 mins to 1 hour just to cool it down. (you can skip this too, if you’re impatient like me and would really like to get to the eating sushi part ASAP)
6. I’m not going to take you through the rolling process but I’ll tell you that it is SUPER easy. I learned it watching a YouTube video. You can too!
ProTip #1: When using the Cauliflower “Rice” cover your seaweed only halfway (unlike the picture) the Cauliflower moves with the roll and will push over the edge if you add too much like I did.
ProTip #2: Cover your sushi roller thingy with cellophane wrap to keep it clean for next time. Just toss away cellophane when you’re done and voila, ready to go!
Basically now you just roll everything up, slice it with a VERY sharp knife. Add sriracha, spicy mayo, black sesame seeds, soy sauce, or nothing at all and have a VEGANLY wonderful SUSHI NIGHT!
Originally posted on: February 10, 2015
Leave a Reply