Finding a creative way to eat tofu is tough these days. Genius vegans have basically done it all. Fried, baked, blended, sautéed, scrambled, and even smoked. But Quinoa Crusted? I think that might be a first. And it’s so fabulous! Serve this to your Tofu Non Believers and tell them Greens & Fries told you so!
I almost made this recipe way more complicated than it needed to be. Then I was like wait a minute, no, it’s gotta be easier than that, and poof it was! You’ll never believe it until you try it. Let’s get cooking good looking!
Quinoa Crusted Tofu
What you’ll need:
1 block extra firm tofu
1/2 cup quinoa (cooked)
3 heaping tbsp spicy brown mustard
2 tsp liquid Aminos or Tamari or Soy sauce
1 tsp crushed garlic
1 tsp tomato paste
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp oregano
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Cut tofu into strips (about 3/4 in thick, think chicken strip sized)
2. Cook quinoa and place in a shallow bowl. Set aside.
3. Mix mustard, liquid Aminos, garlic, tomato paste, & seasonings in a shallow bowl. Set aside.
4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, spray generously with olive oil, & preheat oven to 400 degrees.
5. Create your assembly line in this order: 1 Tofu Sticks, 2 Mustard Mix, 3 Quinoa, 4 Baking dish.
6. Coat each stick with an even layer of mustard sauce(be generous). Then dredge in quinoa making sure to cover as much of the tofu as possible on all sides. Place on baking dish. Repeat until all your tofu is coated and placed.
7. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove and flip. Bake another 10 minutes until tofu & quinoa is crispy.
I served this with a delicious massaged kale salad and some smokey bbq sauce for a fancy weeknight dinner. But it’s so versatile you could eat it casual or fancy. Try it dipped in some ketchup and tell me that’s not the most perfect lunch you’ve ever had!
However you enjoy it, I hope you enjoy it Veganly Much!