You guysssss I made butternut squash gnocchi from scratch and it was way easier than I ever could’ve imagined so I know you can too!
I always thought Gnocchi was like this unattainable, uber professional, only if you’re Italian kinda recipe but it turns out it’s totally laymen! And vegan friendly for that matter. All it takes is 2 ingredients and if you use the right ones it can easily be gluten free. So let’s go BIG! Butternut Squash Gnocchi – vegan & gluten free style – BIG.
Because you always think you can’t until you actually can.
Sky’s the limit, Lets go!
1 whole butternut squash (peeled and chopped)
2.5 cups chickpea flour
Pinch of Salt
Olive oil & Water
1. Take the raw butternut squash and place in a microwave safe bowl with 1/4 cup water. Cover and steam in the microwave by cooking for 5 – 7 minutes and removing to stir halfway through.
2. Once the butternut squash has softened, place in a large bowl and mash using a potato masher. You want this to be as smooth and mushy as possible. You can add a pinch of sea salt here too.
3. Next, add chickpea flour 1/4 of a cup at a time, folding it in well then adding more then mixing well. You get the drift. Keep adding and folding in until you form a very soft dough.
4. Finally, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and begin forming gnocchi. Take a small teaspoon at a time and roll into an oval and place on the baking sheet. Repeat. Once you have it all lined up. Take the back of your fork and press gently to create tiny grooves. This is an optional but delicious choice. Your sauce will get stuck in those grooves and it’s magical. 5. Now you can boil these right away or refrigerate until you’re ready to serve.
- In a large pot bring water, salt, & olive oil to a boil.
- Drop only a few gnocchi in at a time. They will drop to the bottom at first but float up once they’re ready.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and serve with any sauce right away OR…
- Pan fry them for a few seconds to get a nice crispy crust. I pan fried them because obviously… But you don’t have to.
Serve as is OR…
Over a bed of lightly sautéed kale & drizzled with my Kale Pesto recipe which you can find here:
Fried Sage is kinda like a thing when it comes to butternut squash so if you feel like it go for it! Makes a pretty garnish too.
Voila! Enjoy it Veganly Much!
Note: this recipe makes a boatload of Gnocchi. I saved half the dough in the fridge to use later. I might even use it as a dumpling for soup next week who knows.
Leave a Reply