I’m a true believer in “Everything Happens for a Reason” and these Noochy Croutons are such a testament to that!
My best friend got married on Sunday (and it was the most beautiful wedding ever!!) and while I was busy getting my hair and make up done, hubby was in charge of getting lunch prepared since we only had about 5 minutes to eat before we had to run out of the house. Hubby makes the best take out orders ever! Maybe someday he will share his secret with me because he really picks up the best food. He went to one of our favorite lunch spots, Boudin, and ordered us each a soup and a salad. The soup always comes in this delicious Sourdough Bread Bowl which I never eat because well… it’s like a million extra calories. No need. So when he picked up the take out our soup still came with a side of bread bowl. What’s a bridesmaid to do?! I didnt touch it. (Okay maybe just a little off the top) I threw it in a ziplock bag and tossed it in the fridge.
Last night, we decided we would eat just a salad for dinner because of all the over indulging at the beautiful wedding. But you know, sometimes salads can be a little sad. I dont like a sad salad so… I decided to take that delicious bread bowl and make some homemade rustic CROUTONS! Yay! My salad was ecstatic!!!
Plus, Nutritional yeast on everything so the recipe came very simple.
1 Leftover bread bowl
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (Nooch)
2 tablespoons olive oil
Garlic Powder to taste
Salt & Pepper to Taste
1 tablespoon dry oregano
1. Cut up your bread bowl in large pieces. Then take those pieces and rip them into smaller pieces for a rustic look.
2. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with Olive Oil. Heat oven to 375 degrees.
3. Spread the leftover bread bowl evenly on the baking dish. Drizzle evenly wtih Olive Oil. Sprinkle with Salt & Pepper, a generous sprinkle of garlic powder & dry oregeno. And finally lots and lots of Nutritional Yeast aka Nooch.
4. Toss around and get everything coated evenly.
5. Bake in the oven for 8 – 10 minutes. Removing once halfway through to give it a good toss and maybe another sprinkle of Nooch.
Note: You can definitely skip the Nooch and just add more garlic powder & herbs. But I dont recommend it.
Another Note: Bread burns. Keep a close eye on this. You dont want burnt Noochy Croutons.
Toss with your salad or top a big bowl of Tomato Soup and Enjoy it Veganly Much!
Bonus Secret Salad Dressing Recipe: Spicy BBQ Ranch Dressing
Equal parts, Sriracha BBQ Sauce + Vegan Ranch Dressing. Add a few splashes of Apple Cider Vinegar to thin it out and mix very well. Voila! Your salad just got even happier!
Originally Posted on: September 22, 2015