This is an exact copycat recipe of a $29 salad I had at my favorite italian restaurant/wine bar! Exact!
The only difference is that it’s vegan and cost maybe $3 per portion. Maybe. OMG YOU GUYS IT’S SO GOOD!
The only problem is that I’ve officially turned into my mother (which actually isn’t a problem at all because she’s the best, literally, T H E BEST!)
Growing up, my mom always did this thing where every time my brother and I loved something at a restaurant she would immediately tell us about how she can make it at home. We would get so mad because we didn’t want a happy meal at home we wanted it in the McDonald’s drive thru, you know what I’m saying??
Well, I am officially that person because every single time I eat something delicious at a restaurant I am immediately thinking about how I’m going to replicate it at home. And this curse has really taken on a life of it’s own since going vegan because I feel it’s my DUTY & obligation to VEGANIZE EVERYTHING!!
Well, I really did it this time you guys. I really did it!!
I LOVE YOU, MOM!!! Let’s get cooking!
Vegan Italian Chopped Salad
1 heart romaine chopped
1/2 radicchio chopped (2 cups)
1 can garbanzo beans
1/2 red onion chopped
2 Roma tomatoes diced
1 can pitted green olives
1 handful pepperoncini diced
1/2 cup vegan cheese cubed
Noochy Croutons – about 2 cups
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 olive oil
1 tsp dry oregano
1/2 tsp minced garlic
Salt & Pepper to taste
- Prep a batch of Noochy Croutons or just go with store bought – no judgement.
- Dice your favorite vegan cheese into small cubes. I love Field Roast Chao Creamy Original and Follow Your Heart Provolone. They both come in slices but I just take them out of the wrapping and dice like a block of cheese.
- Chop all your veggies into small dices. You want to be able to get a piece of each ingredient into each fork-full so chop small. Set aside.
- Drain & Rinse garbanzo beans – optional sprinkle with sea salt. Set aside.
- Add all your dressing ingredients to a jar and shake shake shake to get it all emulsified. Taste and adjust salt & pepper as needed.
- Add everything to a large bowl and mix well.
- Serve immediately or store in fridge overnight minus the croutons and cheese. Add those when you’re ready to serve.
This salad will keep well in the fridge for 2 days with dressing and at least a week if stored before dressing.
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do. Share it with a friend, or a mom who taught you that you could master any dish in your own kitchen.