Our beautiful wedding night is over now and everything was simply perfect! I am officially back and cooking up a storm in the kitchen. I went grocery shopping for the first time in over 2 weeks yesterday and it felt amazing!! We had so many of our family & friends here visiting from all over the world. It has been a non stop party for weeks. Family dinners, dining out with friends, site seeing, preparing for the wedding, & getting plenty of rest left me no time for cooking. So, last night I was thrilled to buy some fresh ingredients and chop, saute, boil, mix, & sprinkle them with love!
This whole recipe, including the eating part, took 30 minutes!
Being a bride, of course, I missed my pasta. At the same time, I was kind of loving the healthy low carb lifestyle so I decided to keep this dish really clean. I went back and forth in my head “Should I make a cream sauce or a tomato sauce?” I finally decided, NO SAUCE. This dish was going to be all about the mix and merriment of these authentic ingredients coming together as one. A little dash of seasoning is all they would need to shine through. And I guess a little Nooch never hurt anyone. So let’s go, a No Sauce Pasta featuring a delicious vegan sausage, and some of my favorite vegetables to cook with. A true match made in heaven! Mazal Tov!
Field Roast – Smoked Apple Sage Sausage
1 packet Cherry Tomatoes
1 bag sliced Cremini Mushrooms
1/2 bag Tuscan Kale
1 small handful Whole Wheat Spaghetti
A few tablespoons Nooch
Crushed Red Pepper
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Get a large skillet and a small pot on the stove. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the skillet pan & put on medium heat. Add water, salt, olive oil to the pot & bring to a boil.
2. While your water is boiling, chop your vegan sausage of choice. I really LOVE anything Field Roast makes so I chose to use the Smoked Apple Sausage in this recipe. The flavor was PERFECT. I sliced them and threw them in the skillet. You can also do a crumbled sausage. It’s just a matter of preference. Once the sausage is crispy on both sides transfer to your serving dish. I use a large shallow bowl.
3. Your water is boiling, add your pasta. I used very little pasta to keep this a little guilt free. I always try to keep a 75/25 ratio of carbs to vegetables. You wont miss a thing, I promise.
4. In the same skillet that you cooked your sausage, add a little more oil and throw in your entire bag of Cremini Mushrooms. Saute for only about 2 minutes and add lots of Oregano & Garlic powder to season. Once cooked through, toss into your serving dish to free up your skillet.
5. In the same skillet, now add your Cherry Tomatoes. I sliced mine in half to get these juicy. Add salt and shake around to get them soft and blistered. After about 2 – 3 minutes, toss these into your serving dish and make sure you get all the juice.
6. In the same skillet, add lots of Kale and cook for just a bit to get them soft & crispy. You want to keep the rich green color on the kale. Toss around to get them nice and wilted, then add to the rest of the ingredients in your serving dish. Season with Salt & Pepper.
7. Finally, your pasta should be cooked through. Don’t strain. We’re going to try and get a little bit of the pasta sauce into our serving dish to act as a thickening agent & sauce. I just ladled the pasta right over the other ingredients. If some of the pasta liquid gets in there that’s exactly what you want.
8. Mix everything well. Sprinkle lotsa Nooch (you could also use Parmesan cheese or Vegan Parmesan Cheese) Sprinkle on some crushed red pepper. And that’s all! Get your fork and get chewing!
Enjoy it Veganly Much!!
Originally Posted on: August 6, 2015