We’ve been craving ramen for a while now so on our last trip to Trader Joe’s we added on a few items we knew were a must. Well, tonight it all came together and completely satisfied that craving. There are really only a few things you might not already have in your pantry but you totally should so stock up and let’s get soupy!
Oh also the worst thing about cooking is dishes so I made sure this recipe can be done in only ONE POT. Yes that’s right only ONE POT to wash. And a pasta strainer. Sorry there was no way around the pasta strainer. Trust me I thought about it… It’s okay. Let’s go!
One Pot Vegan Ramen
2 cups vegetable broth
2 cups water
3 cups water for cooking
2 squares Black Rice Ramen Noodles
Lotso Soy Sauce
Lotso Sesame Oil
2 teaspoons Chinese Five Spice
A dash of garlic powder
Salt & Pepper
Black & White Sesame Seeds for Garnish
White Button Mushrooms
1. First boil water and salt in your pot. Drop in your ramen noodles and separate them as they get soft. Give it about 1 more minute to cook then strain in the sink and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking. It’s okay if they’re a little al dente because they will get softer once you pour your broth over it.
2. Put the pot back on the stove on high heat. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and get your mushrooms sautéing. After a few minutes add your Bok Choy chopped stems. Oh I forgot to tell you to chop the stems off your Bok Choy and separate from the leaves. You will use the leaves later. Sauté that for a while. Then add a sprinkle of Chinese Five Spice and a sprinkle of garlic powder. Also, add some soy sauce. One swoosh should do for this step. We’ll add more later.
3. Next, add broth and water right over the mushroom bok Choy mixture and bring to a boil. Add another few swooshes of soy sauce (or a few soy sauce packets – you know who you are), some salt & pepper, and a nice drizzle of sesame oil.
4. Add shredded carrots
4. Add purple cabbage
4. Add Bok Choy
4. Add bean sprouts.
5. Stir well and taste. Add another swoosh of soy sauce. Add more sesame oil.
6. Put some ramen noodles on the bottom of the bowl.
7. Pour a generous amount of vegetables and broth right over.
8. Add some black & white sesame seeds. Another drizzle of the sesame oil because YUM!
9. Sip & Slurp the crap outta this delicious bowl of goodness!!
*My afterthought was that some stir fried tofu would be perfection right on top of this soup. Next time I’ll add it for sure.*
Enjoy it veganly much!
This recipe serves 4 but Mr. Joony helped himself to 2 servings because yes, again, it was that good.
Originally Posted on: May 14, 2015