Is it too late for soup?? I mean it’s like 80 degrees outside right now and I’m definitely not complaining but I’m craving Potato Leek Soup so… That’s okay, we’ll turn the air conditioner on.
5 cups sliced Leeks (I used frozen from Trader Joe’s because it was easy!)
1/2 large white onion chopped
7 yellow potatoes (you can also just use a few idaho potatoes but then you’ll have to peel the skin and I dont have time for hard labor)
2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
1.5 cups water
2 tablespoons vegan cream cheese
Vegan Sour Cream for garnish – optional
*Recipe makes 1 large pot of Soup / about 6 Bowls*
1. In a large pot saute onions in olive oil on medium heat. You just want the onions to get translucent, not caramelized.
2. Then add your leeks and potatoes and saute those with the onions for a few minutes to get some browning on your potatoes. This will add big flavor later.
3. Then stir in liquids (2 cups veggie broth + 1.5 cups water is my ratio. You can do all water or all veggie broth. It’s a preference thing)
4. Add all seasonings and stir well. Taste to see if your broth needs more salt. Mine did. So I added more salt. Ha!
5. Let everything cook for about 15 – 20 minutes until your potatoes are tender. Then grab your immersion blender and go to town. Blend this up smooth. I left a few chunks of potato because my arm got tired and it was actually a deliciously lazy move.
6. When you’re ready to serve, stir in your vegan cream cheese for extra creaminess. The immersion blender will help you get this incorporated too!
7. Turn on your air conditioner so it feels like winter and Enjoy!
note: the veggie broth is giving it that gorgeous yellow color. If you prefer a white soup use all water instead
Originally Posted on: April 20, 2015
Leave a Reply