I’ll let Wikapedia give you the full description here: Chilaquiles is a traditional Mexican dish. Typically, corn tortillas cut in quarters and lightly fried are the basis of the dish. Green or red salsa or mole is poured over the crisp tortilla triangles, called totopos. The mixture is simmered until the tortilla starts softening. Pulled chicken is sometimes added to the mix. It is commonly garnished with cream crema, shredded queso fresco, raw onion rings and avocado slices. Chilaquiles can be served with refried beans, eggs (scrambled or fried), beef and guacamole as side dish.
It’s EVERYTHING right? So, I’ll give you the Green Juice and French Fries version. Please feel free to change it up. I made it this way because this is what I had in my fridge. As long as you get the tortilla chips, sauce, and some protein… you cant go wrong. I swear.
Hugo's Knows Chilequiles
Chingredients: (see what I did there? lol)
1/2 jar pasta sauce
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup pico de gallo
1 cup vegetable broth
2 tablespoons ketchup
A few splashes of your favorite hot sauce (more splashes if you like it spicy)
Garlic Powder, Smoked Paprika, Onion Powder, Turmeric, Sea Salt, & Cayenne Pepper to taste
1 can black beans
A few handfuls of corn tortilla chips
1. Mix all your sauce ingredients in a wide skillet and stir on low to get them all married together. Cover and simmer for a few minutes. See below:
2. Drain and Rinse your black beans and add to the sauce to begin heating through.
3. Optional: Add soyrizo for more spice & meatiness
4. Take a few handfuls of the Corn Tortilla Chips and throw them in the sauce. It’s okay if they’re a little broken up but you dont want crumbs. Keep them bite sized at least. Stir that around and get them all coated. You dont want these to get soggy so lower the heat and start moving quick.
5. Optional: Fry an egg sunny side up or over easy or scrambled.Or top with some tofu / avocado slices. Garnish with cilantro, lime wedge, or extra hot sauce.
6. Grab a fork!!
Here is the Vegan version:
Here is the eggy version: