This recipe was Persian family approved!
If you’re Persian, you already know! I veganized my moms delicious Tachin recipe using the Follow Your Heart Vegan Egg and presented it like she does, in cute little individual sized muffins, so everyone at the table can enjoy both the delicious crunchy outsides and the soft pillowy insides. Simple as that. I already know you’re gonna love it!
If you’re not Persian, welcome to the delicious world of Saffron rice cakes AKA Tachin!
This special Persian dish is usually made with layers of chicken breast and the rice cake is held together with egg yolks and yogurt. Sounds strange but it’s fabulous and I grew up eating this dish often!
Well, we do things a little different around here but I promise you it’s just as delicious as any other Tachin I’ve ever had!
It’s always topped with the sweet and tart barberry also known in Farsi as Zereshk.
Once you get this recipe down you can get so creative with different fillings like Mushrooms, peas, corn, Kale, and I could go on forever!
All I have to say is thank goodness for perfectly good Vegan Egg replacers because this has always been and STILL IS one of my favorite Persian dishes.
Tachin (Saffron Rice Cake) Muffins
1.5 cups basmati rice
2.5 cups water
A few sprigs saffron
3 Vegan Eggs (or any egg replacer)
3 tbsp vegan butter
Salt & pepper
1 cup dry zereshk (barberries)
1 cup hot water
3 – 4 tbsp sugar
1. Rinse the basmati rice really well with cold water and add to water in a medium pot. Bring to a boil then to a simmer and cook until 3/4 of the way done.
2. Add a few sprigs of Saffron to a few tbsp warm water. Add Saffron to the rice and mix well. A little goes a long way and it will turn a beautiful color. Set rice aside to cool.
3. In a large bowl mix your vegan egg replacer with the cooled down rice and make sure it’s evenly distributed.
4. Grease the bottom of your muffin tin really generously with vegan butter. Preheat your oven to 375.
5. Scoop rice mixture and pack into each muffin tin. Top with an extra pat of vegan butter. This recipe makes exactly enough for 12 muffins. (Note: you could also just pack this into a casserole dish using the same instructions)
6. Bake on lower rack of your oven for 1 hour or until the bottoms are completely golden brown and crispy and they come out easily.
7. While that is baking, soak your zereshk (barberrie in hot water with sugar for at least 10 – 15 minutes until they are plump and sweetened to your liking.
Remove from the tins and serve with zereshk & sliced almonds or chopped pistachios
Enjoy it Veganly much!