My three favorite things are Italian Food, Israeli Food, and staying slim.
Now before you get all crazy on me… a positive body image is the most important thing and love your curves and we’re all beautiful blah blah blah…
Also, my hubby quickly corrected me on the incorrect title of this dish but I was already too invested to change it. “Sabich” in hebrew is an acronym for a popular dish consisting of Salad, Egg, and Eggplant (Salat, Beitza(egg), and Chatzil(eggplant)) Get it?
Anywaaaays this delicious little dish contains eggplant, spaghetti squash, tomato sauce, & beans, And was really inspired by the delicious Israeli Sabich I used to eat so I’m going with it. Cool?
Let’s get cooking I’m hungry.
P.S. This dish is totally vegan, totally filling, and totally easy to make! Not to mention low carb, low fat, and full of healthy nutrients your body will love!
Sabich Spaghetti Squash
1 spaghetti squash
1 medium red onion – chopped
1 cup cherry tomatoes – halved
1/2 jar of your favorite marinara sauce
1 can cannellini or garbanzo beans – drained & rinsed
2 tbsp tahini
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp crushed garlic
1/2 juice of a lemon
1/2 tsp of each – Smoked Paprika, Turmeric, Cumin
salt & pepper to taste
Flat Leaf Parsley or Basil to garnish – optional
1.Cut your spaghetti squash into rings on the short side and place in a microwave safe dish with about an inch of water at the bottom of it. Microwave on high for 15 minutes or until softened. Set aside and allow to cool before handling.
2. In a large saute pan bring 2 tbsp olive oil to a medium heat and add chopped onions. Saute until soft and browned.
3. Add eggplant and saute until softened.
4. Add crushed garlic and lower heat. Saute a few minutes
5. Add cherry tomatoes cut in half and saute until they blister and release their juices.
6. Add all your seasonings and reduce heat to a low simmer.
7. In the meantime, shred your spaghetti squash to get the spaghetti-like strings away from the skin.
8. Add spaghetti squash and marinara sauce and beans to the sauteing vegetables and mix well.
9. After everything was cooked down together I stirred in 2 tablespoons of tahini to give it a nice creamy taste. I highly recommend it but it’s optional.
Garnish with fresh flat leaf parsley or fresh basil and Enjoy it Veganly much!