You call it pumpkin season, I call it pasta season. We can be friends.
How much do you LOVE baked shells? Go on tell me, I really want to know. I love them probably 2.6 times more than you. Even the sound of a stuffed pasta shell makes my heart race a little faster. The best part is that these are so easy AND fun to make. The worst part is you wont want to leave your house for a while because you’ll be glued to your kitchen making this dish over and over again. It’s THAT good, I promise.
When I think of what I want on my Thanksgiving table I totally think of this rich, creamy, filling, totally main-dish-worthy, dish! I know your family is going to love sharing this with you. Promise me you’ll share.
Kale Stuffed Shells & Creamy Pumpkin Sauce
1 box of large shells
For the Stuffing:
1 Tofu Ricotta
2 cups Kale (shredded)
For the Cream Sauce:
1 cup soaked raw cashews
1 can pumpkin puree
2 tbsp fresh thyme
1 tbsp maple syrup
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 cup pasta water
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp chilli powder
Salt & Pepper to taste
Panko Breadcrumbs & Thyme for topping
- Cook your shells al dente in boiling water and salt until they are tender but still sturdy and not all the way cooked through. <- that’s what al dente means, you’re welcome
- While your pasta is boiling, make one batch of Tofu Ricotta and mix with 2 cups of shredded kale. Set aside.
- In your blender, add all the cream sauce ingredients and some of that salty starchy pasta water. Blend well. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. I loved the balance of the sweet maple syrup and spicy chili powder.
- Once your pasta is cooked al dente, drain and allow it to cool before handling it. Once it’s cool enough to hold (with your clean hands, obvi) begin stuffing with a tablespoon or more of your tofu ricotta kale mixture. Line the stuffed shells into a baking dish one at a time until they are all stuffed and lined up. This should fill 1 – 2 baking dishes completely depending on what size you use.
- Finally, pour that delicious creamy sauce all over the shells until they are fully covered. Top with breadcrumbs and more thyme (optional) and bake at 375 for 35 – 40 minutes.
- Broil for 5 minutes just before serving and enjoy it veganly much!