When your avocados aren’t ripe and you need some mexican food… This Happens!
Have you ever been to El Torito Grill? Well if you haven’t you’re not missing out on much and if you have, I know you’ve had the Pepita Dressing!! It’s so delicious. I used to pour it all over everything I ordered there but my most favorite thing to order was the Warm Fajita Salad with EXTRA Pepita Dressing.
You guys, I veganized it!!! What the What!! I know. You’ll never believe how I did it. I dont even believe it. I can’t wait for you to see.
Now, if you’re an El Torito expert you know that the dressing has a cilantro base but if you know me then you know my husband – the love of my life, the man I chose to spend the rest of my life with – HATES CILANTRO. Ugh. Trust me, I know, it’s a problem but we’re working through it. I subbed Spinach in this dressing to get that pretty green and I swear it was perfection!
The great part about using spinach instead of cilantro is that I felt Healthy AF drenching this all over my salad. I mean… doesn’t really get any healthier than spinach right? You do you. If you LOVE cilantro then go for it. Use Cilantro. Or Kale. Or Basil. Or whatever. Just make it green. That’s the only rule.
Warm Fajita Salads & Healthy Pepita Dressing
2 Bell Peppers
1/2 Large Purple Onion
1 heart of Romaine Lettuce
1 Roma Tomato
1 can Black Beans
2 tbsp Olive Oil
Pepitas for Topping – optional
1/4 cup raw soaked cashews
1 tsp acv
1/2 juice of lemon
2 tbsp green hot sauce (Trader Joe’s or Tabasco Jalapeno)
1 handful spinach (or cilantro)
1 tbsp vegan mayo
1 tsp sea salt
A splash of water to thin out
2 tbsp raw pumpkin seeds
- Begin by prepping your vegetables & beans & cashews. Soak your cashews in hot water for at least 15 minutes. Chop lettuce & tomato. Slice peppers & onions into thin strips. Drain & Rinse beans. Set everything aside.
- In a large skillet, bring 2 tbsp olive oil to a medium high heat. Add onions and cook for a few minutes then add peppers to cook for a few more minutes. When they are almost cooked through- roasty but still crunchy- add cumin, salt, pepper, garlic powder, & smoked paprika.
- Season the beans with the same spices and microwave for 45 seconds.
- Drain and Rinse cashews and add to a blender with all dressing ingredients except pepitas. Blend until a thick sauce consistency. Add pepitas and pulse again. You’ll want some crunchy bits of pepita to stay intact within the dressing. Season more to taste.
- Assemble bowls any way you’d like (see pictures). You can also make lettuce wraps by filling your romaine leaves with beans and peppers and topping with the pepita dressing for a fun spin on this salad.
Anyway you enjoy it, I hope you enjoy it Veganly Much!
And if your avocados are Ripe and Ready, well just go ahead and add a few chunks of that right on top. 😉
Dressing will keep well refrigerated for about 2 weeks.
Double or Triple the ingredients so you can use it throughout the week.
Leave a Reply