If someone asked me to choose my very last meal before I die, I’d probably have a heart attack and drop dead right then and there because the decision would be just too difficult. But if someone was ordering pizza and wanted to know what toppings I’d like, that would be easy. Mushroom, Pineapple, & Ranch. Yes ranch. Yes, Pineapple.
There are two kinds of people in this world, those who love pineapple on their pizza and those who don’t have a clue what they’re talking about.
Anywaaaayyyys… I had to take my favorite pizza and turn it into the fanciest handheld food I could imagine, the calzone. It’s basically a pizza pocket and usually served with some warm marinara sauce. Since I can’t eat pizza without ranch I made this delicious spin off, Spicy Tomato Ranch. Warning: you’re about to get hooked on this sauce. Just lean in and enjoy!
Note: If you don’t like pineapples on your pizza, pffft, you could include any of your own favorite toppings in this recipe. Just remember, don’t overstuff!
Pizza Calzone & Spicy Tomato Ranch
1 whole wheat pizza dough
2 cups cremini mushrooms
1 cup frozen pineapple chunks – thawed
1/2 cup marinara sauce
1 cup vegan mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup vegan ranch dressing
1/4 cup marinara sauce
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Take your pizza dough and cut it into 6 even pieces. Roll each piece into a circle about 6″ in diameter.
2. Sauté your mushrooms in a pan on medium high heat until they are browned. Season with dry oregano, salt, & pepper. Set aside.
3. Fill one half of the dough with 1 tsp marinara, a few mushrooms, a couple pineapple chunks, & a tbsp of vegan cheese. Then fold over and pinch all the corners very tightly.
4. Repeat step 3 for all your dough and place each folded calzone on a parchment lined baking sheet leaving some room in between as they will expand a little.
5. Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.
6. Mix all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl adding more or less cayenne depending on how spicy you like your food.
7. Once your calzone are ready remove from the oven. Let cool for a few minutes and enjoy immediately with sauce.
note: I sealed mine very tightly and they still got oowy goowy and spewed out. It’s okay, it was my favorite part.
Enjoy it Veganly Much!!
Leave a Reply