Hello Creamy Dreamy Rich Decadent – Guilt-free, vegan, healthy, bright, light PASTA!
What a walking conflict of interest. I mean, vegans are supposed to eat salads right?! Well, actually I do eat a whole LOTTA salads, like all the time so I guess that’s half true. But the true reason I smile every day is because I still eat creamy fettuccine alfredo. Like, on the regular!
I had a pretty upsetting weekend because it started with a visit to my least favorite place in the world!!! The dentist. (sorry if you’re reading this Dr. Tsang, I really hate you though. Don’t care how nice you are to me or how many free tooth brushes you give me. I Hatecha! Always will.)
Anywaaaays, I needed some comfort because my routine check up turned into a procedure plan where we’ll probably need to sell our stocks and I wont be able to feel my gums for the next 2 – 4 months (totally exaggerating obvi). Again, I digress. Focus, Paris, focus.
Pasta, creamy delicious pasta awaits. This dish is so perfect. It’s rich and comforting because of the creamy sauce and earthy mushrooms yet it’s still got this light and bright roll off the tongue because of the lemon zest. Are you salivating yet? Let’s get cookin!!
Mushroom Fettuccine Alfredo
For the sauce:
1/2 cup Cashews
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tsp yellow miso paste
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 pinch ground nutmeg
Zest of 1/2 lemon
For the Mushrooms:
4 cups cremini mushrooms (sliced)
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tbsp olive oil
For the Pasta:
2 servings fettuccine
1. First, get your cashews soaking in boiling hot water for at least 15 minutes total time. This is the quickest way if you don’t have time to soak them overnight, which I basically never do.
2. In a large sauté pan, start to sauté your mushrooms over medium high heat with 1 tbsp olive oil. After they’re cooked and browned nicely add 1 tsp Italian seasoning and set asside.Do not season until after the mushrooms have cooked through.
3. Cook pasta according to box instructions. I add a generous amount of salt to the pasta water and that seasons it very well so I dont have to add tons of salt to my sauce.
4. While your pasta is cooking, drain your cashews and add to a blender with the rest of the ingredients. (Excluding the mushrooms and pasta of course) Blend until smooth.
5. Once your pasta is cooked, drain (reserving 1/2 cup pasta water) and add to the sauté pan with all of the sauce & mushrooms. Mix well and bring up to a heat. If you want your sauce to thicken up you could sprinkle on 1/2 tsp of tapioca starch or corn starch or arrowroot powder and heat through. <–pro tip
Serve and devour immediately.
Leave a Reply