I almost didn’t share this perfect recipe because I thought it was simply too easy. I mean most of the flavor came right out a jar, I added a few veggies, some beans, boiled water to make rice and BOOM gourmet, Indian comfort food in my home in less than 20 minutes. Then I realized something, the simplicity of this recipe is the beauty of it and it MUST be shared.
I also wanted to have a chance to promote the AMAZING Trader Joe’s, yet again, for making all natural delicious products we can be proud of – even if they come from a jar. The star of the show here was the Masala Simmer sauce from Trader Joe’s. Most of the time when we purchase any sauce or anything in a jar we cant even pronounce the ingredients. I mean, you need preservatives to preserve whatever you bottled and to be able to shelf it for a long time, right? WRONG!
Here is the FULL INGREDIENT list of this delicious Masala Simmer Sauce:
Tomato puree (tomato paste, water), tomatoes, light cream (milk), onions, ginger, garlic, canola oil, lemon juice concentrate, sea salt, coriander, cumin, fenugreek leaves, tumeric, paprika, red pepper, cinnamon and cloves.
I know, right?! So, I guess I could have just found a recipe for Masala Sauce and made it from scratch myself at home but there was NO way I would put myself through that on a Monday so this simmer sauce was practically perfection. I will have to give you a disclaimer now, in case you didnt catch it already, the sauce does have some milk in it… dun dun dun. Sorry! But it’s still meatless so I’m still happy. Let’s cook!
Trader Joe’s Masala Simmer Sauce
1 bag cauliflower florets
1 can of garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
1 cup frozen green peas
1 cup water
1 cup brown rice
2 cups Tuscan Kale
1. Heat a skillet with 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil and saute your cauliflower to get some good color on them. Add seasonings to taste. I used Curry powder/Smoked Paprika/Turmeric/Cayenne pepper/Garlic Powder/Salt&Pepper. Saute for about 5 minutes. Transfer to a sauce pot. Set aside.
2. Open can of garbanzo beans, rinse and drain. Add to cauliflower sauce pot.
3. Open Masala Simmer sauce or get hubby to open for you. They really seal this jar closed tight. You might need help. No judgement. Pour over cauliflower & garbanzo beans. Add 1 cup water. Simmer for 10 mins.
4. While that simmers prepare your brown rice. I used 1 cup vegetable broth and 1 cup water and 1 cup rice. A little salt & a little olive oil. Bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer. Close lid. Leave it alone for about 15 minutes.
5. In the skillet you used for your cauliflower add another 1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil and kale. Saute until kale gets crispy and shiny. Add a little cayenne for heat. Add a little salt for flavor. Remove from heat after about 2 minutes and set aside.
6. Your cauliflower & garbanzo beans are still simmering right? MMMMMH how great does your house smell right now? Open a window. Add your frozen peas for just a few minutes at the end.
– I swirled in a bit of coconut creamer too but that’s just because I like it creamy.
7. Put everything in a bowl, give yourself a hug, and have a great night!
Originally Posted on: February 26, 2015