The countdown to thanksgiving continues and we’re oh so close! Less than 24 hours to go.
Tonight, I played around with a very ordinary Brussels sprouts recipe and holidized it as best as I could! If you don’t like Brussels sprouts, you’re doing them wrong and need to try again. Start here…
1 handful raw or candied pecans
1 bag of Brussels sprouts (I’m going to refer to these as BS going forward because it’s quicker to type and kinda funny as you read. You’ll see…)
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
Salt & Pepper
Okay, I bought raw pecans and candied them myself and it was really easy but I burned my tongue so bad that I won’t be able to taste anything with the tip of my tongue tomorrow. I’m gonna have to get creative with the bites I take because the front half of my tongue is now officially useless. So… Just buy the candied pecans and let’s move forward.
1. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees and cover a baking dish with aluminum foil. (I just saw this on food network today and was like duhhhh I don’t have to wash the cookie sheet every night!? Ugh! Just remove the foil when you’re done and toss away the mess.)
2. Remove the yucky looking outer leaves from the BS, cut off the bottom core, and slice them up to your desired size. I cut the big ones in quarters and the small ones in half.
3. Toss the BS in a bowl and coat with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste.
4. Spread the BS (lol) on your baking sheet and pop in the oven for 15 – 20 mins. Your BS will get all roasty and caramely in the oven. So yum!
5. Toss the BS back in the bowl adding your balsamic, remaining olive oil, and honey/maple syrup. Add your pecans. Stir.
6. Grab a fork quickly. These are amazing while they’re still hot. Who am I kidding, they’re amazing cold too but me and my burnt tongue obviously have no patience.
This is definitely a great side dish option for your thanksgiving. Guess what it’s VEGAN, if you go with the maple syrup instead of honey.
For me, it won’t make the cut. I decided if it doesn’t have a massive amount of carbs, I’m not eating it on a holiday. But it was perfect for tonight in preparation for the big day! Lol! Don’t you just love BS now?! I do!
Originally Posted on: November 26, 2014
Leave a Reply