Your favorite Loaded Potato Skins are going next level with this Vegan Animal Style version…
If you live in or have ever been to Southern California, you’ve heard of the famous burger chain making delish food by slathering everything in Thousand Island dressing and calling it Animal Style. Well, here we are! I’ve taken everyone’s favorite fast food fries and fancied them up with these loaded baked potato skins.
The best part is that my version is NO ANIMAL STYLE but just as delicious!
Let’s get into it!
Loaded Potato Skins – Animal Style
4 Baked Potatoes
4 slices of Follow Your Heart American Cheese
1 medium white onion
2 tbsp Grapeseed Oil
1 tsp Vegan Butter
Salt & Sugar
Vegan Thousand Island:
3 tbsp Veganaise
2 tbsp Ketchup
1 tbsp yellow mustard
2 tbsp sweet relish
- Prep ahead by baking your potatoes until they are cooked all the way through.
- Cut each potato in half lengthwise, and scoop out the middle so you have a potato skin cup.
- In a large shallow skillet, heat olive oil and butter over medium high heat. Dice onions and add to the hot pan. Saute over medium high heat for 10 minutes stirring only a few time.
- After 10 minutes lower the heat, add a pinch of salt and sugar and cook onions further stirring very occasionally. Pro-tip if you stir the onions too much they wont brown if you don’t stir them enough they might burn. Once your onions are cooked the way you want them set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and line your potato skins on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes until the skins are nice a crispy.
- Meanwhile, you can make your thousand island dressing by mixing all the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl. Protip: Follow your heart also makes the most amazing Vegan Thousand Island dressing so if you’re too lazy to make your own, I highly recommend stocking up on a few bottles of theirs.
- Remove from the oven and add your onions and slices of cheese on top. Return to the oven and broil for a few minutes until your cheese is melted.
- When your cheese is melted and you’re ready to serve top with a generous pour of the vegan thousand island dressing and more grilled onions.
Voila! Enjoy it veganly much!
I have to admit this was only made possible by finding the perfect vegan substitute for American Cheese slices. You know the ones you grew up eating that came in the individual plastic wraps. Well their vegan version definitely exists and you’d never be able to tell the difference. Check out Follow Your Heart for all your vegan dairy substitutes and get ready to have your mind blown!