Nothing screams comfort and relaxation like Grilled Cheese & Creamy Tomato Soup! AHHH you hear the comforting screams now don’t you?
My sweet coworker has started growing tomatoes in her garden and last week she gifted me with a huge bag full of them. Lucky me, but since I’m not a huge fan of eating raw tomatoes, (unless they’re in a sandwich or burger – never really loved tomatoes in my salads), I decided it was finally time to do a Vegan Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup recipe. I know… Can you believe I’ve had this blog for almost 2 years and have never once posted a Tomato Soup recipe!? WTF!
I absolutely LOVE tomato soup.
Mainly because it serves as the perfect dip for a yummy grilled cheese sandwich and who doesn’t love a good grilled cheese sandwich? AmIright?! But also because it’s so easy to make, totally comforting, & tastes sweet and savory and smooth and creamy. All my favorite components of food in one. Roasting the tomatoes gives this soup such a next level dimension, you would not believe!! This is definitely one of those Mrs. Efficiency/Multi-Task Master recipes because you’re gonna have a few things going on at once but it’s so fun and so worth it when it all comes together.
What are we waiting for! Let’s get soupy!!
Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup
4 cups of tomatoes (about 10 – 12 medium tomatoes halved/quartered)
1 cup diced white onion
2 handfuls fresh basil
2 cups low sodium vegetable broth (or water *see notes)
1 tbsp liquid aminos (or soy sauce *see notes)
2+ tsp sea salt
1+ tsp cracked black pepper
Garlic Powder & Smoked Paprika to taste
4 tbsp olive oil
1 cup raw cashews
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut tomatoes in half. Dice onions and carrots. Soak raw cashews in hot water.
2. Lay tomatoes in one layer on baking dish. Top with 2 tbsp olive oil and a healthy pinch of sea salt & pepper. Roast for 30 minutes, removing once halfway through to toss.
3. While the tomatoes are roasting, sauté onions and carrots with 2 tbsp of olive in a large pot until the onions become translucent.
4. Add 2 cups vegetable broth the pot and add seasonings. Put the lid on and bring to a simmer on medium low heat until carrots are soft and tomatoes are ready. Should be about the same time.
5. Once the tomatoes are roasted add them with all the juice to the pot and stir well. Bring heat to low and cover.
6. Drain and rinse your cashews and add to a blender with about 1 cup of fresh water and all the nutritional yeast. Blend until completely smooth.
7. Add fresh basil to the soup pot and blend until smooth with an immersion blender.
8. Once all the tomatoes & basil are blended into a smooth soup add in the cashew cream and stir well.
9. Taste the soup here and adjust seasonings as necessary. Soups need a LOT of salt to taste right so you might need to be a little generous. I also added the juice of half a lemon after it was all finished cooking.
Serve with a vegan grilled cheese sandwich for dunking obviously and Enjoy it Veganly Much!!
* If you decide to use water instead of veggie broth you will need to use more seasonings and spices like onion powder, bay leaf, turmeric, oregano, as well as extra garlic powder, salt & pepper.
* Liquid Aminos, Tamari, & Soy Sauce are all pretty much the same thing. Tomato – TomAHto. Feel free to interchange these ingredients in any recipe.
Try this with my Waffled Sweet Potato Grilled Cheese for a seriously awesome meal!
P.S. I used Daiya cheddar slices in my grilled cheese and it was the most perfect thing ever. If you haven’t tried Daiya in a while I highly recommend giving them another shot. They’ve reformulated their recipes and their cheeses are BEYOND delicious now. Go. Try it. ASAP!
Leave a Reply