Sh*t just got really REAL, you guys!
My sneaky, clever, generous hubby surprised me for my birthday with a Canon DSLR Camera and a special close up lens!!! Ahhh, I feel like I’m a real person now. I actually have no idea how to use a real camera because I’ve photographed every single food pic for this blog with my iPhone, but lucky for me he also bought me a copy of “Digital SLR Photography for Dummies“. We’re going to learn, you guys! We’re learning and we’re photographing and we’re uploading and we’re food blogging. Like for reals now! It’s gonna be awesome!
I wrote, tested, photographed, edited, & drafted this recipe before this new life changing moment so this could possibly be the last iPhone photo food blog of Greens & Fries. Ahhh. I can hardly contain my excitement!!
Ok, so in addition to that amazing surprise, THIS Summer Farro & Corn Salad was an amazing surprise all it’s own. I’ve been testing with oil-free recipes a lot lately because I’ve been kinda into this High Starch Low Fat diet thing. I mean, when someone tells you that you can eat carbs all day every day and stay slim, you pay attention right?! Right!
Also, I’ve really learned that oil is kinda unnecessary in most of the foods we cook. I’ve already told you many times about the magic of parchment paper and it’s real. Have you tried it? That’s just one example. So, I wanted to see if I could cook a hearty summer salad with a bold vinaigrette without using a single drop of oil. And guess what? I did. And you’d never even know anything was missing. It was a really delightful surprise!
This salad has almost a tangy honey-mustard type taste to it that is a sweet surprise when it hits your palate. Surprise! I think you’ll really like it and find it even more interesting than meets the eye.
Put your olive oil away and let’s get cooking!
Summer Farro & Corn Salad
1 cup Farro
1 cup frozen corn
3 tomatoes diced (or equivalent to 2 cups)
2 cups fresh spinach
1 avocado diced
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp whole grain mustard
1 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp or 1 clove crushed garlic
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Cook the Farro in about 3 cups of boiling salted water. When the Farro is almost all the way cooked through, add frozen corn to the pot and mix well to defrost.
2. While the Farro & Corn are cooking add dressing ingredients into a separate large bowl and mix well. Chop tomatoes. Prepare spinach.
3. When the Farro and Corn are cooked all the way through, drain and rinse with cold water to cool down and stop the cooking process. Add directly to the large bowl with dressing and mix well.
4. Top with Spinach & Tomatoes and mix well. Adjust salt & pepper if needed.
5. Pour into your serving bowl and top with avocado + any of the optional toppings.
Serve immediately or refrigerate for 2 – 3 days.
Enjoy it veganly much!